Gamers Refuge, Game forum for general Game Discussion & Debate!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to discuss games & game ideas, debate games, review games, join game clans, blog about games, get game help online, show off gamer artwork, play forum games, play Roleplay games, or discuss game frustrations, you'll find it here at Gamers Refuge!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Classic Games

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ailinea

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Classic Games   Classic Games EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 11:18 pm

A long, long time ago, during the revolution of the first Playstation console, I belonged to a group of gamers on a mailing list (yes, before forums were this popular) where we all had one thing in common: a LOVE for classic RPG video games, and a general dislike for the newer games that were being released. Our arguments were mainly that graphics were trumping storyline with the new consoles, and storyline is the only thing that matters in a game. Oddly enough, several of us didn't include FF7 in that aspect, but our hate pretty much began with FF8. We tended to make a lot of jokes about FF8.

So what is your opinion of classic RPGs or even games in general (read: SNES and Sega consoles and lower, maybe even possibly PS1) compared to the fancy new games of today?
Back to top Go down
SynchronizedBlink
SynchronizedBlink

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-11-02

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Games   Classic Games EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Classic RPGs were all BASED on story. The stories had to be very engaging for the audience. However, with new games, the story thins. Its all about the gameplay and the experience. The audience wants to have epic battles between bigger 3D monsters without the turn effect.
Back to top Go down
Knight of Symphonia
Knight of Symphonia

Number of posts : 75

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Games   Classic Games EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm

SNES was and is my favourite console. I find myself desperately trying to get ahold of older games more than anticipating newer games. Of course, there are a few exceptions. I love Tales of Symphonia and I can't wait for the sequel. I also love Golden Sun and its sequel. But I have way more games from the SNES that I like. The old Mario games were great, the Breath of Fire series, the Mana series, etc. The list goes on.
Back to top Go down
Armoured Alchemist
Armoured Alchemist

Number of posts : 14

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Games   Classic Games EmptySun Nov 02, 2008 10:22 pm

I love classic games. All of the classic games I have played have excellent storylines, which is something that I like to see in games. However, newer games are generally all about graphics. I think that there are a lot of people these days that are more interested in graphics. I have nothing against great graphics, just as long as there is a great storyline as well.

Some of my favourite older games are the Mana series (Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3) because of their amazing stories. Sadly, the newer Mana games have sacrificed some of their storyline for flashy graphics and fancy gameplay.
Back to top Go down
blah40000
blah40000

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-11-01

RP Character
Character Name:
Total Life Amount:
Classic Games Left_bar_bleue0/0Classic Games Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
Level::

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Games   Classic Games EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 9:46 am

ff9 is still today my favorite rpg, ff7 comes in second...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Games   Classic Games Empty

Back to top Go down

Classic Games
Page 1 of 1